A pivotal area that affects the decisions we make on a daily basis is our self-esteem. This is the confidence in ones own worth or ability of one’s self-respect for themselves. We live in a world where there’s a lot of people who suffer from low self-esteem and struggle to make decisions. Self-esteem affects almost every aspect of our lives from how we think about ourselves to the way we react to situation in life It can be very tough for those with low self-esteem to make any decision especially ones for themselves. Just like with our emotions our self-esteem can hijack our decision-making process.
Self-Esteem and decision-making
Decisions show up in all areas of your life and the decisions you make reflect the confidence that you have. A lot of times when your esteem is low and you have a decision to make you look at yourself with such low confidence and self-worth you don’t feel like you’re worth it. You don’t believe you deserve the best of the choices to pick from. Because you see yourself in this way and make poor decisions reflecting the way you see you and eventually end up self-sabotaging your life with your choices. It can even get as bad as you looking down on your self-worth so much that you become so fearful of making a wrong decision so you end up making the decision not to make a decision (yes not making a decision is a decision) and have someone else make it for you. Because you look at your self so lowly you accept things that you wouldn’t normally accept with higher esteem, you put yourself in situations you wouldn’t normally put yourself in when you are faced with making a choice. A lot of times when people make decisions who don’t look at themselves with a high esteem they second guess themselves with the decisions they make all the time because they don’t trust any decision they make will be right because they believe they can’t do anything right.
This Can affect your life tremendously in many areas. To name a few your work if you’re unable to make confident decisions how will you every get a promotion? Or a better job than the one you have now? Your relationships, because you look at yourself so negatively you will never make the decision to ask that person out on a date you find attractive. That could be your future husband or wife. The cloths to wear for the day. You can’t an outfit you would wear because everyone you try on you believe looks bad on you. Because once again you look down on yourself so much you don’t believe you’re worthy to wear the cloths because you are living in perpetual self-doubt because of the way you look at and think about yourself. This can be crippling to someone who suffers from low self-esteem. The great thing is that you can build your self-esteem up so you can make more confident decisions in life. What you have to do to better your self-esteem is to change the negative beliefs you have of yourself. The following six things can help to increase your self-esteem to make netter decisions.
Overcoming self-esteem issues
- Hire a self-esteem coach- Who will coach you through the 6 pillars of self-esteem to help you become more confident in your ability and to look at yourself with more respect. Lucky for you, I have a good friend who does this for work. His name is Maurice McNeill his email is [email protected] his Instagram is @reeceinspires. He has helped a lot of people to better their self-esteem bettering their life and the choices they make.
- Surround yourself with people who make you feel good about yourself. Try to spend as much time around them as you can. Stay away from people who are toxic negative people in your life.
- Turn up the volume on your positive thoughts. Build up the positive thoughts we have and delete the negative thoughts we have of ourselves.
- When you receive a complement from someone looks them in the eye be proud and say thank you. Believe that complement is true hold on to that complement and use it throughout the day week month year. Everyday repeat the complements you get to yourself and whenever you feel yourself starting to sabotage you with negative comments or thoughts use the comments you wrote down to reassure the thoughts your thinking are not true.
- Write down every positive thing you can think of about yourself (I am smart, I am strong, I am a hardworking, I am kind, I am compassionate etc) keep that list of positive things close. Read it throughout the day, read it when you wake up, read it before you go to bed. Continue to add to the list as more things come to mind.
Don’t be so hard on yourself- You don’t have to be perfect every hour of every day there are going to be days your self-esteem takes a hit. The key is to realize that it’s perfectly ok and normal every single person on this earth goes through this. No one has perfect self-esteem. When you have these thoughts creep into your head pull that piece of paper out and read the things you have written down on it to shift your mindset to positive thoughts of you.
Self-esteem is so crucial in not only our decisions making but our overall lives. When you’re able to better your self-esteem, you’re able to make better decisions which leads to a better life for you and those around you.